Things to be thankful for…
There is that thing circulating on Facebook: write 3 positive things each day for 5 days. Well I am gone for the weekend, and will be taking a much needed social media break, so here are all of mine in one post:
1. I am so grateful to have a place I can call home. Not everyone has this luxury which I am reminded about every day. Thank goodness I was fortunate to have parents and brothers and friends who have had my back when rent was hard to make and bills were out on the back burner … Things could have looked different without those supports.
2. I am so happy that for the most part, I am able to purchase the food I want to eat. I no longer have to rely on getting food care package from my parents, or have friends purchase me a lunch/dinner because money was that tight. I never have had to rely on food banks, the generosity of strangers or fight for my share of a second harvest delivery or simply go hungry.
3. I am thankful that I had the privilege to finish high school, and to have a post secondary education. I also feel privileged that I had the opportunity to attend an elementary school that had heat and hydro and proper resources to allow for my learning. Not every child in Canada has this luxury.
4. I am grateful for the long-ish path I took to get where I am career wise. The people I have met along the way have impacted me immensely! They have taught me so much about myself and about love and life and struggle and hurt. Whether or not these people remain apart of my life, I appreciate what they have brought into my life for whatever length of time.
5. I am so incredibly thankful for the immediate family I have. My parents have always had my back. They allowed me the space to fuck up, but held me accountable. They have been unconditional supports for me despite them not always agreeing with my every decision. They love me unconditionally and as adulthood has begun to consume my life, our relationship has continued to grow and develop in such a positive way. My brothers are also my friends. They have helped me out of more than one jam when I could no longer bring myself to ask my parents for assistance, and they support my whimsical behaviour (emotionally, physically and occasionally financially). I’m so excited for what our futures hold!
6. I have the most powerful, inspiring and weird friends in the world. They “get” me, they support me, they ground me, they keep me driven and confident and they never fail to amaze me with their resiliency to life. I am pretty certain I have found some of the most beautiful and positive souls to surround myself with! They are my safe space when I am terrified and/or anxious and/or sad. They help me maintain my sanity and who knows where I would be without them.
7. I am fortunate to have found a job in my sector. But more than anything, I am so lucky to have found what I am passionate about. They said “major in something you love” and implied a job would follow. So I majored in history, and took a lot of human rights classes. I found no job, and I thought - fuck that shit, major in something that’ll get you a job. Those history and human rights classes laid the foundation for my journey is discovering my passions. I am lucky that I was able to turn what I love into a “do what you love” situation.
8. I am inspired and in awe of all the people who are doing their part - large or small to make the world we live in a better place.
9. I am also inspired by those who are open to learning and understanding the world around them. It’s hard self work to do, it’s a constant journey. Thank you to all those who hold me accountable when I fuck up and don’t check myself and my privilege!
10. I am so happy I moved to Toronto and that I have opted to start my “adult” life there. It’s a city with so much to offer people, and the experiences and people that it exposed me too is just fucking great!
11. I love that I have a bike. Biking is great! I love that I have a cheap and reliable mode of transportation to get myself around. I’m also happy that I now know how to use the bus racks for bikes so I don’t have to bike in storms!
12. I am stoked to be getting out of the city and going camping with some of my favourite people from Ingersoll! I cannot wait for Caesars and beer and food over a campfire and silliness!
13. I am so happy with the person I have grown to be / am growing to be. I am amazed by my personal growth and my experiences. I am in awe of my own resiliency and strength. I am finally comfortable in “weakness” and have a new understanding of those feelings and I am so much more comfortable in my own skin than I ever was in my life.
14. I am a little grateful for some sense of stability in my life for the next year. But I am more excited for what my financial state will look like in a year and what possibilities exist with some freedom!!!! Aus here I come? South America? Cross-Canada tour? I have goosebumps!
15. I am so appreciative of all the people in my life that have allowed me the space to grow, and to explore who I am. Outside of my family, my most dearest fiends: Maggie, Court, Sammy bean, Sonya, G, and most recently MG! These bad ass babes have listened to me as I work out and explore my politics, my liberation and empowermen and my sexuality, in a safe and warm space!
And there you have it!